All information in PMTIO reports are categorised under the University providing training. The six Ontario medical schools are:
- McMaster University, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine
- NOSM University
- University of Ottawa, Ottawa Faculty of Medicine
- Queen’s University, School of Medicine
- University of Toronto, Temerty Faculty of Medicine
- Western University, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
The programs listed in PMTIO are those accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
Additional detail is provided for Special Programs of training.
Postgraduate Year (PGY) terminology is used in all PMTIO reports. Based on an agreement between the Professional Association of Residents of Ontario (then PAIRO) and the Council of Academic Hospitals of Ontario (then OCOTH), PGY replaced Resident nomenclature at a pace of one training level each year from 1994 onward.
Trainees counted under CEB are funded by the Ministry of Health’s Clinical Education Budget. All other trainees are counted as Not CEB Funded.
Age is calculated in the following way:
- Year in which November 1 falls for the given report – DOB year = age
Pool classification is grouped into 5 categories (A, B, C, D, E) based on location of medical license, legal status, funding group, and training level of the trainee. More detail on Pools can be found on The Pools Classification Framework.
Trainee legal status is grouped into three categories:
- Canadian Citizen
- Landed Immigrant/Permanent Resident
- Employment VISA
There are three classifications for where trainees acquired their medical degree:
- Other Canadian Provinces